Skip to main content

I remember my childhood

    "I remember" is a common but magical way to start a sentence because it brings up memories that I have forgotten about for a long time.
    I remember when I was still a baby, unable to form sentences. I remember, with the help of my mom's stories, the times that I didn't want my mom to go to work. I remember crying while clutching her legs, wanting to be held and never let go. I remember how cold the marble floor was against my legs but how I was unable to stand up due to the devastating situation.  I remember the panic I felt, thinking that my mom was leaving me for good. I remember the mixed expression on my mom's face, feeling sorry for leaving me crying but unable to keep a straight face because my sister was attempting to play with dolls with me, uncaring about the emotional crisis I was going through. I remember my devotion and love towards my mom and marvel at the fact that she is still the most important person in my life today. 
When my mom wasn't around, I had my sister and my bunny doll

    I remember most vividly my life in the US. I remember the summers spent at the pool, feeling the cool water protecting me from the beating sun. I remember the smell of the sunblock my mom painted on my skin and the sounds of laughter and excited screams that urged me to escape my mom and jump into the pool. I remember returning home with my skin crisp, just about to crumble away when touched. 
Although not at the pool, a day at a beach with my sister
    I remember the winters that were vastly different from the summers. I remember anxiously waiting by the radio, hoping for a snow day. I remember all of the snow shoveling, rewarded by a warming cup of hot chocolate and the mini sled hill that was created by our hard work. I remember how painful it was when the snow got into our gloves and boots and how the snowball fights and fort building was fun enough to forget about the pain. I remember all of these experiences that I am so grateful that I have, the ones that made me one of the happiest kids in the world.
One of the many winter days with my sister
    I remember how much I used to love reading and feel guilty about how little I'm reading now. I remember bringing a huge bag with me to the library and returning with it dragging behind me, too heavy to carry. I remember reading Harry Potter, my first "big book" and how immediately I was sucked into the magical world. I remember how I used to hide under my blankets with a flashlight, staying up way past my bedtime to finish the mesmerizing stories. I remember the excitement that I associated with reading and while I still enjoy reading, I hope to restore the amount of enthusiasm I had when I was younger.
In a library during our family trip to Washington DC    
    I remember all of the memories of when I was happier, freer, and void of any worries. I remember all of the memories that put a smile on my face just by thinking of them. I remember all of the memories that I am relieved to have, the memories that formed who I am today and gives me the power to go on.
Although shaky, my favorite baby picture taken after the school play.

SaveSave

Comments

  1. That last picture should be your facebook profile pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely writing, great flow - and though I don't think the many "I remembers" interfere... I would have liked to see a different version just for the sake of contrast. Nice to see all the pictures as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing tale: My Heart is Broken

Mavis Gallant's My Heart is Broken follows the conversation between Jeannie and Mrs. Thompson regarding Jeannie's rape. Sadly, but not surprisingly, the aftermath of rape has not changed much since 1964. Mrs. Thompson implies that Jeannie is also responsible for the rape occurring. With words like "If you'd listened to me, none of this would have happened" or "I told you it would make trouble, all that being cute and dancing around" Mrs. Thompson blames Jeannie for what happened. The rapist is nonexistent in this conversation, Mrs. Thompson refusing to find out who he is. Jeannie is considered the main reason of the rape as Mrs. Thompson believes it could have been prevented if Jeannie acted differently. Mr. Sherman goes even further, arguing "no man by his own self can rape a girl, so there was either two men or else she's invented the whole story". This leads to a social atmosphere at the camp prevents Jeannie and her husband Vern fro

Modern Family

A+ (For its entertaining jokes and stories, its representation and diversity, and how relatable it is) After spending a month binge watching one of my favorite shows, How I Met Your Mother, I had a longing for more clever sitcoms. I turned my attention to Modern Family, the name coming up in numerous recommendations. And I found my all time favorite show. As the title suggests, Modern Family follows a modern family. The family is consisted of three parts. :the Dunphy family that show an average American family, the Tucker-Pritchett family that shows a gay family, and the Pritchett-Delgado family that shows a multicultural family. The families encounter various social issues along with typical family concerns. The show is in a mockumentary style with separate interviews explaining the story and revealing the inner thoughts of each character. The representation in Modern Family is outstanding. Each family shows different forms of modern families. Cam Tucker, Mitchell Pr

True Love: After reading The Lady with the Dog and The Trick: Notes toward a Theory of Plot

I have never had the fortune of being in love. Of course, I had my fair share of childish crushes but I have never actually felt love. But after reading  The Lady with the Dog  by Anton Chekhov and   The Trick: Notes toward a Theory of Plot  by Marilyn Abilskov, I got a glimpse at what being crazy in love is. In both stories, the characters find meaning in their otherwise meaningless lives with their love. Both Dmitri and Anna were never in love before meeting each other. Dmitri is married to a wife that he is secretly afraid of and doesn’t care if he is unfaithful to her. “He had never once loved …. And only now when his head was grey he had fallen properly, really in love –for the first time in his life.” To Dmitri, meeting new women was a search for excitement and life. And his search ended when he found Anna. Anna became the center of his universe, unable to live his life without thinking about her, her existence haunting his mind. “In the evenings she peeped out at him from