Skip to main content

This I Believe : Unique Identities

I believe everybody’s identity is different.
This is something I dealt with for most of my life. For as long as I can remember, I always had identities that weren't quite like the ones of people around me. When I was 3, I moved to Massachusetts. Going to a foreign place at an age before I could even properly speak in my mother tongue, Korean, I couldn’t communicate with anybody. I vaguely remember, with the help of my preschool reports that I never talked with anybody, clinging to my family in attempts to get away from the scary foreign Americans. I remember crying every night, wishing to be back home in Korea.
However, I quickly fit into my life in America. By the time I was ready to go into kindergarten, I was one of the most outgoing students in my preschool, striking conversations whenever I had the chance. I lived thinking I was American, memories of Korea already forgotten. I didn’t understand whenever my sister reminded me that we were different than our friends, calling us “Korean Koreans.” The only difference I saw between us and other Korean Americans was simply the fact that we had different passports. I thought that I would obviously gain citizenship in the future and live in America for the rest of my life.
I remember the day my parents told me and my sister that we were going back to Korea. We had just finished our favorite show, ‘Dragon Tales’ and were happily getting ready to go to bed, expecting dreams of playing with the dragons. We lay in our bunk bed and waited for our parents to tuck us in. They came in, turned the lights off and suddenly sprung the news. I remember how I didn’t understand at first, confused why my parents kept on repeating “it’s now time to go back home” when I was obviously at home. I remember me and my sister both bursting into tears after understanding, devastated by the news. I remember how troubled my parents looked but uncaring, upset with the fact that I had to leave all of my friends, the future I planned for myself, and my home.
The first couple of years in Korea were the most depressing in my life. Everybody around me were telling me how happy I must be for returning home but I felt like a foreigner in my own country. Friends that know me from the first grade remember me as the girl that cried every day. I still remember the first day of going to school in Korea. I was introducing myself to my new class when my teacher asked me where I lived before. I answered, with a nervous, crawling voice that I was from Boston. Suddenly, my teacher turned to the rest of the class and said “This is quite strange. It seems like the kids in America pronounce Boston different from us!”. She was teasing me about how I didn’t use konglish but answered with American pronunciation. All of the other students started to laugh, but I remember that I started to cry. In the years that followed, I stopped crying and started to enjoy life in Korea. However, I never dreamt of a future of staying in Korea, always assuming that I would return to America. The summer vacations that I spent in America were like returning home. 
Nowadays, having spent my teenage years in Korea, I identify as a Korean. Now that it is time to realistically think about a future in America, I am worried about fitting in as a Korean student and leaving Korea behind. However, there are times when my friends call me American or foreigner for my tastes in music, fashion and hobbies. I have now reached the conclusion that I am never going to have that same identity as the people around me. Even though I am Korean, I am not the same kind Korean as my friends. No matter how much time I spend in America, I will never be truly American. My identity, formed with my unique experience of constantly changing homes is always going to be different. But this is the same for other people too.  People’s identities can’t be divided into black and white. Everybody’s own experiences and environments form their identity, making it unique. This I believe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ongoing tale: My Heart is Broken

Mavis Gallant's My Heart is Broken follows the conversation between Jeannie and Mrs. Thompson regarding Jeannie's rape. Sadly, but not surprisingly, the aftermath of rape has not changed much since 1964. Mrs. Thompson implies that Jeannie is also responsible for the rape occurring. With words like "If you'd listened to me, none of this would have happened" or "I told you it would make trouble, all that being cute and dancing around" Mrs. Thompson blames Jeannie for what happened. The rapist is nonexistent in this conversation, Mrs. Thompson refusing to find out who he is. Jeannie is considered the main reason of the rape as Mrs. Thompson believes it could have been prevented if Jeannie acted differently. Mr. Sherman goes even further, arguing "no man by his own self can rape a girl, so there was either two men or else she's invented the whole story". This leads to a social atmosphere at the camp prevents Jeannie and her husband Vern fro

Modern Family

A+ (For its entertaining jokes and stories, its representation and diversity, and how relatable it is) After spending a month binge watching one of my favorite shows, How I Met Your Mother, I had a longing for more clever sitcoms. I turned my attention to Modern Family, the name coming up in numerous recommendations. And I found my all time favorite show. As the title suggests, Modern Family follows a modern family. The family is consisted of three parts. :the Dunphy family that show an average American family, the Tucker-Pritchett family that shows a gay family, and the Pritchett-Delgado family that shows a multicultural family. The families encounter various social issues along with typical family concerns. The show is in a mockumentary style with separate interviews explaining the story and revealing the inner thoughts of each character. The representation in Modern Family is outstanding. Each family shows different forms of modern families. Cam Tucker, Mitchell Pr

True Love: After reading The Lady with the Dog and The Trick: Notes toward a Theory of Plot

I have never had the fortune of being in love. Of course, I had my fair share of childish crushes but I have never actually felt love. But after reading  The Lady with the Dog  by Anton Chekhov and   The Trick: Notes toward a Theory of Plot  by Marilyn Abilskov, I got a glimpse at what being crazy in love is. In both stories, the characters find meaning in their otherwise meaningless lives with their love. Both Dmitri and Anna were never in love before meeting each other. Dmitri is married to a wife that he is secretly afraid of and doesn’t care if he is unfaithful to her. “He had never once loved …. And only now when his head was grey he had fallen properly, really in love –for the first time in his life.” To Dmitri, meeting new women was a search for excitement and life. And his search ended when he found Anna. Anna became the center of his universe, unable to live his life without thinking about her, her existence haunting his mind. “In the evenings she peeped out at him from